The History of CMP Pharma
CMP Pharma was founded by Henry Smith as Carolina Medical Products Company in 1975 while he was a professor of drug manufacturing at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s School of Pharmacy. In 1982, FDA granted Carolina Medical an approval for Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate Suspension (SPS® Suspension) for the treatment of hyperkalemia. Prior to this, sodium polystyrene sulfonate was only available as a powder “for suspension”.
Another innovative liquid approval followed for Isoniazid Oral Solution, USP, the only FDA approved liquid treatment for tuberculosis.
Most recently in 2017, CMP received approval of an NDA for Spironolactone Oral Suspension (CaroSpir®) developed specifically for patients who have difficulty swallowing and are suffering from heart failure, edema caused by heart failure and cirrhosis, and hypertension.
Other products include:
- Oracit® – a treatment for metabolic conditions
- Dermacloud Ointment – an OTC skin protectant
- Absorbase® – a non-prescription topical ointment for dry skin conditions
- Triamcinolone Acetonide in Absorbase® Ointment – a prescription treatment for inflammatory and pruritic manifestations of corticosteroid responsive dermatoses. Out-licensed to Promius Pharma.
- Hydrocortisone HCl in Absorbase® Ointment – for the relief of the inflammatory and pruritic manifestations of corticosteroid responsive dermatoses. Out-licensed to Solubiomix LLC.
We’ve manufactured high-quality pharmaceutical products at our Farmville, North Carolina facility since 1986.